Saturday 22 September 2012

Super-saving September #12 - Recipe 16, and the dreaded C-word

Chicken and Flageollet Bean Casserole
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 1 chicken thigh each, for however many you're feeding
  • a goodly amount of stock (or white wine if you're feeling decadent
  • some thyme (dried or fresh - doesn't matter)
  • a can of flageollet beans (the dried beans are cheaper, though I find the texture is never quite right)
  • Optional: If you're worried about veg intake, this dish doesn't lose anything if you throw in a few handfuls of frozen sweetcorn or peas, and a finely chopped leek

Dice the onion, chop the garlic and fry off. Seal the chicken thighs and then add stock to cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or so.Drain and rinse the can of beans. Throw these into the pan and raise the heat for about 2-3 minutes. The stock should reduce an thicken until you've almost got a baked bean-like consistency. Serve with rice, a baked potato, mashed tatties etc.
If you want to cook it in a slow cooker, just throw everything in and enjoy.

Freebie update: I don't know if anyone else has come across the wonder that is Kindle for PC but this a surprisingly new thing for me (yeah, I know, I published a book on Kindle!). I managed to score some really great free titles, including a Lonely Planet Guide called Recession-busting Britain: Best Free Experiences. So, yeah. It's sort of uber-free, I guess. In addition, you can get all kinds of public domain work, and self-published books from people who aren't as cash-strapped as me, who give their work away, you just need to be comfortable reading on a PC. 

Anyway, that's the nice bit out of the way. On to the dreaded C-word: Christmas. A lot of people I've been speaking to are starting their shopping, and putting little bits aside for stockings and such. So, I thought I'd share my Other blog's current series: Frugal Christmas with you. Woo - shameless plug! I sure do love those today! In the next few days, I'll invent a button for down the right of this blog, but until then, try out the link above for toy food, shawls and yummy hamper goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment