Monday 7 May 2012

Sainsbury's Little Ones, Recipes and Nutrition

Not technically a children's book, but a very useful tome nevertheless if you're planning on making all your own food for little people.


Sainsbury's Little Ones, Recipes and Nutrition cookbook is a lovely addition to any shelf and has given me a wealth of ideas in regards to feeding Daughter.

I decided early on that I didn't want her to eat jarred food. I wouldn't want to eat it myself so I saw no reason to feed it to Daughter. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with going down the jar route, just that it wasn't for me. Too much waste, too much money and I just didn't think it looked palatable. Which is where this book came in.

To begin with, beyond the usual fruit purees, I had trouble coming up with ideas of what to feed my little girl. Aside from the various mashes I featured on here, I was stuck - especially when it came to introducing meat. Luckily, the first few pages of Sainsbury's Little Ones cover a selection of different mash, following up with a range of foods that introduce varying textures. The only qualm I have with this part is the inclusion of beetroot - don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but my carpet, walls and Daughter's clothes don't...

Usually I have a load of other things prepared when it comes to dinner times, but when I don't, Little Ones offers a lot of quick and easy ideas. I also use it as a rough guide regarding appropriate portion size, something that I just had no idea of to begin with. It's all very down to earth - not 'organic everything only'. Most of what's there can be prepared on a budget.

There are also various recipes for the whole family for when you get to a stage where you're all eating the same thing.

So yes, all in all, a very worthwhile book if you're starting off on the adventure that is weaning. I'm going to head to the library soon and look for some more comprehensive books about feeding slightly older children though as I think Daughter might be getting bored of these offerings now!

No comments:

Post a Comment