Sunday 9 September 2012

Super-saving September #7- Recipes 5 - 7

Sorry for the delay in posting - we were overcome with cleaningitis. There's a jumble sale next month so we're going to be throwing our lot on the table to see how much we get for it. I love having a stall at these things - it's always a real challenge to come home with less than you set off with! Husband is parting with loads of cables and electronics we don't need any more, Daughter is donating clothes which are too small for her and I've tossed in the various crafts I didn't sell last year and some kitchen bits I can't fathom ever using.

The previous two days were mixed successes. We needed to pop out for some dishwasher tablets and some envelopes so that I could post a (homemade) birthday card and a prize from the etsy shop I share with Mum. I managed not to go charity shopping - my biggest weakness - but Husband, Daughter and I did enjoy the lunch time meal-deal at the local Indian. £5.95 for a main, plus rice and a drink isn't too bad, and at this age, Daughter can just share with us. I also met a woman selling a duvet and pillow for Daughter's bed - £5 rather than the new £20 of a single pillow in Mothercare, I was really pleased. I found the lady selling via a facebook group, incidentally. It's something I've put off joining for the longest time, but it's actually been really beneficial in terms of nearly new - and of course, you can follow me on there too :P

Anyway, that just leaves my remaining mission of the office chair. I will put an ad on freecycle, but as Husband is so funny about where he parks his bum, it might be a case of buying new afterall. I am rolling my eyes.

So, on to the recipes.

Mexican Soup
  • Red lentils
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 3 finely chopped garlic clothes
  • 2 medium grated carrots
  • 1 can of tomatoes
  • 1 stock cube
  • Cinammon
  • Cumin
  • Chipotle chilli paste/chilli/cajun spice/chipotle tobasco sauce
  • Soured cream
  • Chopped corriander for garnish.
Stir everything but the last 2 ingredients together in a big pot. Heat until the lentils are cooked. Dollop some sour cream in the middle of each bowl when serving and scatter with corriander. Nom.

Smoked mackerel salad
  • Your choice of salad veg*
  • Cooked smoked mackerel fillet
  • soured cream
  • horse radish sauce
  • mayo
Mix a teaspoon of mayo, half a teaspoon of horse radish and a tablespoon of soured cream. Dollop some on a plate with your salad and fish fillets. Done.

Camomile and lemon cupcakes
  • The contents of 1 camomile teabag
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tbsp sugar + a little for crispy icing
  • 4 tbsp self rasing flour
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 apple
Grate your apple. Zest and juice your lemon. Mix everything together except the lemon juice and divide into cupcake cases. Bake at around 180 for 15 minutes or so. Once cooled a little, brush the lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment